Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Holding up

Hi everyone:

We're half-way through Patty's second week of work, and she's holding up pretty well. Fatigue continues to be a factor, but as long as our patient gets a nap during the day and heads off to bed relatively early at night, she seems to have sufficient stamina to manage two blocks of school. Patty teaches Patrick in her first class each day, and I've been impressed by the work he's been producing; I'm not sure if the laurels are more deserved by teacher or student, so I'll just say that I'm proud of them both. Kelly and Connor seem to be adjusting very well to their new schools -- he to junior high, and she to Oswego East (with Mom.)

I've been trying to find some information about the most recent possibility posed by Patty's doctors -- that of transplanting a section of liver (an accessory transplant) at the same time as a heart, even if a positive crossmatch was evident. I presume the intent here would be to somehow fool Patty's body into thinking the heart was appropriate because of the presence of the liver segment; of course, I'm just guessing. The UCH team has cautioned us against putting too much stock in this right now, because they are only now starting to consider its viability. There is no research posted on the internet that I could find. To be honest, the prospect of this is terrifying to me, although I want them to make Patty truly well one day. I'm so happy that she has been so tough, because that seems to give her (and her doctors) time to come up with possible answers.

Patty has an appointment with Dr. Costanzo next week, at which time we should have additional insights to share. Thanks for sticking with us...it's nice to know there are people out there pulling for Patty on a day-to-day basis.

Love,
Brian

Some pics from Luke/Nicole Wedding Celebration: The Sequel

Sam & Neil


Yours truly


Kathleen & Valerie

No comments: