Thursday, June 01, 2006

Some words from the patient

Dear friends and family:

I apologize for not having posted anything personally before now. This latest news (see Brian's entry below) has left me somewhat blue and introspective, so I wanted to let people know how much I truly appreciate everyone's kind thoughts, words and gifts of generosity throughout all of this. On the positive side, the medication I receive through my PICC line has been a wonder drug in terms of how I feel day to day. Hearing this latest news, however, without further information to understand it, has left me fearful and worried. I guess it goes with the territory.

The meals everyday have been invaluable and the sentiment behind them heartwarming. Those who have pitched in with looking after our kids, and helping us navigate the complexities of this protocol, have overwhelmed us. Our kids continue to display great strength while at the same time showing us how much they need special care right now. My siblings' outpouring of kindness and support has been essential to our coping with this.

To all of our friends, who have provided moral, financial, logistical and other support, I thank you so much. To my colleagues at work, thank you for assuming the extra load you've had to bear in my absence. My husband Brian has been an unbelievable source of strength, always adopting a positive attitude regardless of the obstacles we have faced, and looking after me tirelessly. Because of all of this, I feel like one of the most blessed people in the world. I'm lucky enough to have experienced this outpouring of so much from so many.

Please know that I read all of the comments people leave on this blog, so please keep them coming. It makes me feel closer to all of you.

Thank you all.

Love,
Patty

p.s. Wanna see something nasty? This is what my PICC line looks like:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patty-
Grief and gratitude--it amazes me how they so frequently go together. Your attitude is amazing.
Love, MB

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs OC.
wow, It's so hard for me to understand why all this could happen to someone like you, but it's amazing to see how you are with all of it. Even though there is so much happening that could tear anyone else apart to the point of hating everything, you've still maintained an amazing attitude and not let it entirely get you down. At least that's how i can imagine you are what with knowing your attitudes at school and such. Well i really hope that everything pulls together soon and you can get back on your feet. I'll most likely see you soon.

Matt

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. OC!
I'm so proud of you for everything you've done. I know from experience that a heart transplant can be a scary thing (my little brother), but don't worry, I know you will get through it. You're already doing an amazing job at keeping your head high and hoping for the best! Me as well as my mom keep you in our prayers every night and wish your family well. Keep up the good attitude Mrs. OC!

Love,
Kelsey

PS: I went to the White Sox Game last night against the Rangers and they won 8-6!! YES! (but i'm sure you knew that, right?) :)

First Year Superintendent's Blog said...

I love the picture on what appear to be stairs in the dim light. Have you ever heard of a flash bulb?

Brian O'Mara-Croft said...

Kevin -- I think I heard my parents talk about flash "bulbs" once. I think they kept them next to the eight-tracks.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»