Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A calculated risk

Hi everyone:

Over the time I've known Patty, we've shared our feelings with each other, at times, by means of our respective creative pursuits. Patty has made several drawings and a beautiful oil painting to capture moments in our life together. I've written dozens of poems, some fun and lyrical, others dark and brooding. I'll never make a living as a poet, but it is cathartic at times to set some of these words down.

When I've shared my poetry openly in the past, I've offended some people and been criticized by others, so I'm a bit gun-shy. Having said this, Patty regards this blog as a gift to her, so I would like to include some of the more personal material as well. We'll see how it goes...

For the most part, Patty is pretty tolerant of my picture-taking, although from time to time she'll playfully resist being photographed if she feels she's looking too rough around the edges. Yesterday was one of those days. Her attempts to resist inspired the following verse:

Snapshot

Why would you guard your essence
From my camera's yearning eye
As it begs to author a history?
In every frame a narrative
An instant of you, your presence
An emotion, a realization, a moment
A frozen whisper
Selfish, I blur out the periphery
Keeping the shadows gently from focus
Only this, for now, to grace my lens
This hint of then, of this, of what
Of chapters unwritten, images unseen
Of cautious promises of you

For Patty
July 25, 2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»