Monday, July 24, 2006

Here we go again...

Hi everyone:

Patty is starting her latest round of IVIG (intravenous immunoglobulin) in the ongoing attempt to knock back her antibodies. Two nurses will stay with Patty in four-hour shifts today and again tomorrow -- Jennifer first, and then Patty's regular nurse Mariska.

Patty is somewhat anxious about the side effects, which can include severe headache and fever. The last time she received IVIG, she had a rough go of it. However, at the time she was also taking CellCept, so we're not sure if the IVIG alone will be hard for her to tolerate or not.

Starting the day, Patty was again feeling some shortness of breath and nausea. The breathing issues always make me nervous, because they have previously suggested a progression of her heart failure. Of course, in this instance, they could mean nothing, other than that I'm being a freak. We'll keep a close watch on her.

As I write this, Patty has fallen asleep after receiving an injection of Benadryl (as seen in the photo above.) This injection is given to help prevent an allergic reaction to the IVIG. Before she fell asleep, Patty was feeling dizzy from the Benadryl; my understanding is that this is a typical reaction. Our son Connor came into the bedroom a moment ago, took a look at his mother and offered, "It looks like she could wake up and puke at any moment." I didn't see this, but I found it amusing.

I'm hoping Patty will come through this round of IVIG with flying colors, and that it will be wildly successful in beating down her PRA. I will try to provide an update later today.

Love,
Brian





P.S. Bill Osetek and Peter O'Mara -- I'm still laughing at that joke from Friday night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patty & Brian,
I read the blogs faithfully and love to look at the pictures that are posted. I hope that Patty tolerates this round of chemo well. Wasn't the party on Friday wonderful? And Patty looked so beautiful. Hope to see you soon in person. In the meantime keep the blogs coming.
Love, Sue

Anonymous said...

Patty & Brian,

Ron and I are so sorry we could not attend the fund raiser Friday night. My mom had just arrived in town the night before and we couldn't just leave her. But I've read the blog and the event sounded beautiful and successful for which I'm glad. I had tears in my eyes when I read Patty's speech. It was so touching and sincere. Patty your a very special person and you deserve good things to start happening. I'm sorry we've been out of touch the last week, but my mom leaves Thursday and I'll give you guys a call and see if you're up for a little company.

You may not hear from us all the time but you and Brian and the family are always in our thoughts. Hopefully, this new round of chemo goes a little easier.

It's our turn for a cook out and appletini when your feeling up to it!

Love, Shari & Ron

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»