Friday, June 08, 2007

Special weekend part I

Hi everyone:

Tonight's blog posting isn't going to be about Patty's medical condition (okay, I will say that she's doing well today), about our recent passport woes, or even about the joys and trials of parenting. There isn't even going to be a film review. Tonight was all about fun -- remember the exciting weekend I mentioned? So, for those to whom we didn't blab about our plans tonight, here's a quiz for you.

Is the person Patty is hugging in the photo below:



(a) our daughter Kelly
(b) our friend Cindy
(c) Stevie Nicks
(d) none of the above

Did you guess?

If you guessed (c):



For the longest time, I don't think I've seen Patty dance as much, or smile as broadly, or seem so utterly thrilled with her evening as she did tonight. Patty was treated to a concert by Stevie Nicks (with the kind efforts of Stevie's assistant and her publicist), and then invited backstage. We waited there for a moment--sitting on a sofa in the middle of a parking lot (a bit surreal, to be sure.)

When Stevie emerged from her trailer, she walked over to Patty and then immediately said, "Oh my God, you look just like Meryl Streep...and that's a good thing." They chatted for a brief moment, and then Stevie gave Patty a very special, thoughtful gift that touched Patty deeply. When Patty asked Stevie for a hug and they embraced for nearly a minute, I felt like I was observing one of those Mastercard "priceless" moments. Stevie signed a T-shirt for Patty, and we were on our way.



I would give anything if Patty's every day could be as utterly magical as her night tonight. And she has another special night tomorrow. More soon...

Love,
Brian

P.S. One more moment to share -- Chris Isaak, while performing as the opening act for Stevie, walked around the entire venue, interacting with fans. His keyboard/accordion player also wandered around. At one point, he walked up behind Patty and asked her what flavor slushie she was drinking. When Patty said "Lemon lime -- would you like to try it?" the musician said "Sure" and took a chug. It was both surprising and funny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys -

Kal's nickname is also "Steve" (she remains the 'tomboy' you knew when we lived in IL) so I showed her the picture of Patty and Stevie Nicks. I said: Do you know who that is? She looks and says: Duh, yeah the lady on the right is Patty. I have no idea who the other lady is. I said she's from Fleetwood Mac and Kal says: What's that? AAAHHH these kids.

Patty you look fantastic as ever! Kelly is beautiful like her mom - I see so much of you in her.

Love - Werd
From Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Anonymous said...

Patty,

Being such a huge fan of Stevie Nicks myself, I lived your excitement with you through these photos. Whenever I find myself in a tough situation, I say "What Would Stevie DO?"...I am thrilled to see she brought you such joy in her selfless giving of her time. You look like you were absolutely glowing! Stevie has that effect on people. I will add you to my prayers and healing intentions that someday, long after you have recovered from your heart transplant, we get to rock out to Stevie together and appreciate every last minute of this beautiful life. With Many Blessings ~ Sheree ^i^