Monday, August 28, 2006

Stranded...can you help?

Hi everyone:

Patty and I have a favor to ask of anyone who can help. The building in which Patty is housed does not have public wireless (WiFi) access. Only hospital employees, or students of the University, have usernames/passwords they can use to access the Internet. Even Comer Hospital, which I had been told has public access, also requires authentication.

As a consequence, I cannot access important, work-related files, and will not have the same freedom to stay with Patty that I would if I had access. For example, I am posting this message from home because I needed to be able to check for client files. Otherwise, I would have been able to stay tonight. This isn't an untenable hardship for one night, but it could be a real problem when Patty is transplanted and has a longer hospital stay.

If anyone knows a University of Chicago student, or an employee of either the school or hospital, who could periodically log into the Internet and provide me with Web access during the time I’m here with Patty, I would be hugely grateful. Of course, I would in no way betray this trust -- I just need to be able to get to email and transfer work files. If you can help, please email us at omara_croft@yahoo.com or call me at 630.788.2005.

Love,
Brian

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish there was some way we could help your dilemna but we know no one that can help. My background was with Loyola--not much help! I hope someone has the solution to your problem.

I didn't quite understand your post a couple of days ago. I believe (and always have) this blog has been a beautiful information piece, and tribute to Patty, for which I look forward to reading as often as I can. Keep it up!! Don't let the comments and opinions of a few deter you.

Hope things go well and Patty's home tonight.

Shari & Ron

Anonymous said...

Patty, I read about your situation in the Trinity LINK over the weekend, and was truly sorry to hear about your health problems. I can't help with the internet connection, but if I think of a way, I'll let you know. If there is anything else you can think of let me know. Liz Scarano Looby

Anonymous said...

Just saw your blog posting from yesterday. I probably have the best shot of anyone of finding someone down there who can help out. I've been out for a few years so most of my good friends are gone, but I'll call around tomorrow and see if I can snag a password somewhere.