Friday, September 22, 2006

Patty's first zap

Hi everyone:

Just moments ago, as I was finishing the last blog entry, Patty received her first jolt from her defibrillator. She was applying makeup when she suddenly felt dizzy and her heart began racing. Just as she leaned over the sink to support herself, the ICD delivered a shock. Patty screamed; I hope I never hear that again. I'm pretty sure, from Patty's description of the event, that she also wants to avoid it ever happening again. She said it felt like somebody touched an open electrical cord to her chest. Immediately after the event, though, her heart settled into a normal rhythm.

We called Edward Hospital. They are having Patty come in this afternoon to have her electrolyte levels checked, and to interrogate her ICD. The incident isn't considered an emergency unless it happens multiple times. With a computer and a special sort of mouse, they can review the event to determine what happened. As soon as we know more, we'll share the details.

Patty is walking very daintily right now, and is feeling very scared. I just wish so much that she could catch a break. I wish I could take some of the pain, some of the nausea, some of the fatigue...just something that would make it easier for her. This just isn't right...

Love,
Brian

No comments: