Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The waiting game again

Hi everyone:

After a day in which we were more-or-less on standby, we learned at 5pm that a hospital bed was available for Patty. If you haven't been reading earlier postings, shame on you (just kidding) -- but Patty knew she was coming back to the hospital for treatment and more testing this week. We struck out on the 75-minute drive, and were finally situated in the room around 8pm.

I'm learning that I presently lack the requisite patience to be the spouse of one needing more extensive care and hospitalization. I pretty much expect that from the moment we arrive, Patty should be getting answers and receiving treatment. Again and again, Patty has reminded me that my thoughts and wishes are just that -- wishful thinking. As I write this, at 9am, not a lot has happened so far, other than two blood draws, a heparin shot (photo above) and relentless rounds of explaining of Patty's medical history. We did find out, just this moment, that Patty is scheduled for plasmapheresis at some point today -- that's all we know for now.

To be honest, the biggest event since our arrival was probably my no-holds-barred, flailing and shuddering nightmare at 3:30 am. Patty was relieved that I was sleeping in the gibbet (they call it a "cot") rather than in bed with her. I'd have been pretty embarrassed if nurses came running and found me in the bed and our patient in a crumpled heap on the floor. I'll be sleeping at home tonight, so you can take comfort in knowing that my night terrors will victimize the kids rather than Patty.

Patty seems to be in pretty good spirits for the most part, although she has been experiencing headaches and nausea that we suspect are a result of her medicine regimen getting thrown out of whack.

That's it for now. More soon...

Love,
Brian

No comments: