Thursday, March 15, 2007

Doing okay

Hi everyone:

Patty says she feels "just fine" today. Although she has an occasional cough and sporadically experiences the same minor symptoms she always has, she is enjoying a second consecutive day of decent physical health. It's a good thing that superstitious thoughts seldom translate into realities, or I may well have condemned Patty to a miserable day tomorrow. Perhaps this time we'll defy the pattern and she'll just keep feeling stronger with each successive day. Patty is enjoying the novel The Life You Longed For, a library book about a child with heart disease; it must be a good one, because it's hard to draw her away from the pages.

I did notice at one point today that Patty seemed distracted, and perhaps even a trifle distressed. When I asked her what was up, she said that she had been thinking about the latest PRA numbers, about the lack of success with techniques that have worked for many others, and about me and the kids, and she felt just a moment of hopelessness. I didn't know what to say, other than to share my belief that her toughness may take her farther than doctors could ever appreciate. Thankfully, Patty rarely dwells on anxieties; instead, she quickly adopts a pragmatic view and starts to plan next steps. I really admire this.

I'm racing to get material ready for a meeting tomorrow, so I'll sign off for now; if anything new arises, I'll be back in touch.

Love,
Brian

No comments: