Sunday, March 11, 2007

Patty and the flu

Hi everyone:

Fever, headache, profound fatigue, chest congestion, cough -- these have been Patty's more-or-less constant companions over the past couple of days. It appears the flu did not overlook our patient, and all that remains to be seen is the severity of the symptoms to come. To be frank, I'm nervous; we just don't know what to expect. I've witnessed what PJ and Connor have gone through, and I'm afraid Patty will fare worse, because of her immunosuppressed state.
PJ still has a persistent cough more than a week after his onset of symptoms. Connor missed school Thursday and Friday, and only today is starting to seem himself. To date, Kelly and I have dodged the bullet. Please keep your fingers crossed that Patty will get through this with minimal discomfort.

The weather this weekend has been so unbelievably nice that, even in their weakened condition, Patty and Connor managed to spend some time outside with me yesterday. While Patty and I walked, Connor inline skated. By the time our half-hour excursion wrapped up, both of my companions were pooped. Still, it was nice to get out for a while; even in short stretches, it makes us feel like we're part of the human race.

Kathleen dropped in last night for a visit. Patty wasn't really up for company, so Kathleen and I ventured over to Kicker's for a drink. Shortly after our return, I cooked up a ridiculously unhealthy late meal (featuring bacon, butter and cheese), and that pretty much wrapped up our night.
Today, we've done little. We watched An Inconvenient Truth, which is a very unsettling film, and have been relaxing in front of the Supernanny marathon this afternoon. I really haven't figured out yet why, when our youngest child is 10, we feel compelled to watch hour after hour of toddlers behaving badly, and yet here we are...

I'll keep you posted about Patty's progress with the flu.

Love,
Brian
Patty reads email and the blog


Kiddo


Patty & Brian

No comments: